Friday, August 2, 2019


 Girl open up you legs: Stick it in your vagina- The Tampon story 



Girl using a tampon


Today I reminisce on a funny horror story that dates back from my childhood experience. This story I have kept as a secret for many years, but through time I realized maybe its worth sharing.

When I was twelve years I encountered my first menstruation cycle. Personally the experience did not delight me. Although I knew eventually I would reach puberty and start menstruating, to be honest I was not ready for such a change.

The excruciating period pains & use of sanitary pads made the experience intolerable, but fortunately as I matured into a young woman I got accustomed to the bleeding and developed my own ways of handing it.

I vividly remember the boys lecture my mother gave me. At twelve years my mother had labelled me as a young woman ( which I found awkward)  but nonetheless she was determined to advice me on "boys."  In a stern voice she said
"you are woman now, dont you dare open those legs for any boy or else you get a baby and I ain't supporting any baby that you  bring on this earth especially when you are still young!!!"

Melissa was the first to introduce me to a tampon. She as one of my circle of friends was more knowledgeable in almost everything, any topic you wanted to learn about Melissa was the go-to-girl. 

In Melissa's bedroom I had my mini-tutorial on how to use a tampon. Imagine a twelve year old instructing another twelve year old how to use a tampon ( well kind of a recipe for disaster) With Melissa I took of my panties and she said, " Girl open up your legs and I will stick it right into the vagina." 

The horror of being told to open up my legs wide enough to insert a tube like foreign object made me cringe. I stormed out of Melissa's bedroom naked, crying and by the hall way I bumped into Melissa's father who looked at me in shock. I guess in his mind he was wondering why a  twelve year old is running naked in his house. Once in a while and look back at this experience which brought out a streak of sadness but later the pain turned into a joyful memory.

Note: so let me set the record straight- I legit have no problem with tampons and would never shun any woman or girl for using them but just like any other person I have my own preferences and I simply prefer sanitary pads. 

For men out there thinking what exactly is a tampon, well read the link below for useful information

https://tampax.com/en-us/tips-and-advice/my-first-tampon/what-are-tampons 



No comments:

Post a Comment